GPS (Global Positioning System)
GPS is a satellite based navigation system that allows you to know your position anywhere on earth.
How does it work?
- Satellites in the sky transmit signals to earth
- GPS device in the vehicles receive these signals
- The device calculates its location based on the information from at least 3 satellites.
- Then the location is shown on a map that is pre-installed in the GPS device
Applications of GPS
- In cars
- Military - for the soldiers to know their location in the field
- Shipping - to navigate the seas
- Lorry Fleets - to track them
- Leisure - Mountaineering, hiking
- Crime - attach device to offenders to know their whereabouts for monitoring them
Advantages of using GPS rather than a paper
- Safe - Driver need not refer a paper map, he can concentrate on driving
- GPS provide accurate location
- It doesn't work well indoors, need a clear visibility of sky
- Navigation will be incorrect If the pre-installed map on the device is not updated