TYPES OF COMPUTERS
There are many differet types of computers ranging from giant super computers to small had-held personal organisers.
Types of Computers:
- Mainframe Computers
- Persoal Computers
- Smart phones
- Embedded Computers
1. MAINFRAME COMPUTERS
Mainframe computers are large powerful computers used by companies to run commercial applications. They have several CPUs and support multiple operating systems.
ADVANTAGES OF MAINFRAME COMPUTERS
- Has large amountof storage capacity.
- Can process large volume of information at very high speed.
- Used in time sharing or batch processing systems.
DISADVANTAGES OF MAINFRAME COMPUTERS
- Need to be permanently housed in a large room
- Very expensive to maintain and run.
2. PERSONAL COMPUTER (PC) / DESKTOP COMPUTERS
Advantages of desktops compared with laptops
- Usually have higher specification (Processor, RAM, hard disk capacity)
- Cheaper to buy, repair or upgrade
- Keyboard is separate to the screen which can be adjusted to suit the user needs and avoid back ache or RSI
- Full-sized keyboard and mouse which is easier to use compared with smaller keyboards and pointing device used with a laptop
Disadvantages of desktops compared with laptops:
- Not portable
- Large and heavier in size
- Many wires need to be disconnected while moving which takes time
- If office work has to be done at home the files need to be copied into a removable media as you cannot carry the desktop home
Advantages of laptops compared with desktops:
- Compact, lighter and therefore easily transportable
- Can be used on your lap when there is no flat surface available to work
- Have battery back-up which enables them to be used when away from the mains power supply
- Files do not need to be transferred between work and home which saves time
- Usually have built-in camera, microphone, speakers, Bluetooth, WiFi
Disadvantages of laptops compared with desktops:
- Smaller keyboards, difficult to use
- Pointing device is harder to use than mouse, although the mouse can be connected to the laptop and used if there is a flat surface.
- The base of the laptop becomes hot, making it uncomfortable when used on your lap
- Susceptible to theft when used in public places
- Limited battery life and hence one needs to carry an adapter for recharging the device
4. TABLET COMPUTERS
Tablet Computers - Features
- A camera which enables recording of still or video images
- Speakers to output music and a microphone to record voice for phone facility
- Handwriting recognition
- Bluetooth to connect and communicate between devices
- Wifi to connect wirelessly
- 3G/4G telephony to access the internet (with mobile signal) during the absence of WiFi signal
- Compact, lighter and portable
5. SMART PHONES
Smart phone - Features
- Phone calls
- SMS Messaging
- Voice messages
- MP3 Player
- Camera and Photo-editing
- Ability to run small programs called Apps
- Communicating with nearby devices via Bluetooth
- Clock, Alarm, Calendar & Calculator
- 3G/4G Telephony
- WiFi access to internet.