Internet and Services provided by Internet.
Today we are highly dependent on computers. Computers are used everywhere. But internet is the main reason for the wide popularity of computers.
Internet is a large network of computers linked together by a common language called internet protocol.
The most popular uses of internet are e-mail and the World Wide Web.
History of Internet
The first internet ARPANET (Advanced Research Project Agency Network) was developed in 1969 by US Department of Defense. Computers on internet use languages or protocol to talk to each other. The main protocol used on internet is TCP/IP (Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol).
Protocol is a set of rules that governs the trasfer of data across internet.
Connecting to Internet:
To connect to internet you need the following:
- ISP (Internet Service Provider) – It is a company which provides internet access to people by charging a subscription fee.
Eg: Airtel, BSNL, Vodafon, etc.
- Hardware requirement – you need a DSL cable and a modem or Router.
Browser is small software used for accessing web pages on World Wide Web.
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
Search engine is a software system used to search for information on World Wide Web.
Services Provided by Internet:
A few important services offered on internet are as follows:
- World Wide Web
- Electronic Learning
- Electronic Banking
- Electronic Commerce
- Social Media
- Electronic Mail
1. World Wide Web:
www is a series of interconnected servers containing huge amount f web pages. These web pages are written in a language called HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language).
2. Electronic Learning (e-Learning)
E-Learning means learning with the use of technology that enables people to learn anytime anywhere. Internet acts as a global library for us. E-learning also include learning from CD-ROM and videoconferencing. E-learning can be used to give training to large group of students at a time.
3. Electronic Banking:
All banks now provide electronic banking. Using electronic banking we can do most of the transactions like transfer money, check balance, view account statement, apply for loans, etc.
4. Electronic Commerce (e-commerce)
E-commerce is buying and selling of goods and services using internet. Nowadays there are many e-commerce websites selling products online.
5. Social Media:
Social media is the online communication channels used for community based interaction, content sharing and collaboration.
Some examples of social media are:
6. Electroic Mail (e-mail):
E-mail allows you to communicate with people in distant part of the world quickly and easily by sending messages from one computer to another.
Advantages of e-mail:
- The same message can be sent to many people.
- E-mail is environment friendly as it doesn’t use paper.
- We can attach pictures, videos and sound.
- Products can be advertised with emails.
Disadvantages of e-mail:
- E-mail may carry viruses.
- Many people send unwanted emails to others, these are called spam mails.
- Email cannot be used for business documents as we cannot sign on them.
- Your inbox may get flooded with mails after some time, you have to clear them.